Thursday, March 22, 2012

Practicing the Discipline of 3

The other day someone commented on all that I have to do and seem to get done.  His question was "How do you get it all done?"

OK, full disclosure here - there are a lot of things I wish were done that aren't so I've got a long way to go in self-organization and self-discipline.  But there are a few things I have learned along the way.  One of the greatest resources I have found is David Allen's Getting Things Done system of organizing and executing life.  (www.davidco.com)

Life just seems to get more and more busy.  And here is a truth - the more responsibility you assume in work or life, the more activity required.  You just have more things that need to get done.  In a DVD I was watching by David Allen he said the average worker/executive has 175 action items waiting to be done at any given time.  175!!!  You may be thinking one of two things:  175?  No way do I have that many things hanging out there to be done.  Or, 175?! Ha!  I wish it was only 175!

Here is something I try to practice each day to help me keep focused and accomplishing important things. It is what I call The Discipline of Three.  It is simple and it goes like this:  Every day, at the beginning of your day write down the three most important things to be accomplished that day.  And then, make sure they get done.

In the same way, at the beginning of the week, write down the three most important things for you to accomplish that week.  And then, make sure they are done.

You can also apply it to a month and a year.  But, as you move out to larger horizons those three things will be more broad.  But always remember, one of the keys to getting things done is to clearly, specifically identify actionable things to be done.

So, if you have been struggling to get things done, start with the day view and the week view.  Yep, you have 175 things that need to get done.  But they will only get done one at a time.  Now you have a plan to make it happen.

David Cooke
The Journey Coaching

1 comment:

  1. Here's my top three today:
    1. Read David's Blog
    2. Thank God for David's faithfulness
    3. Drink a chocolate milkshake

    Thanks for the advice David!

    ReplyDelete